Moynihan breaks missed cut hoodoo in Cape Town

Gavin Moynihan (Photo by Luke Walker/Getty Images)

Gavin Moynihan has finally shook the monkey off his back after guaranteeing safe passage to the weekend rounds of the Challenge Tour’s Bain’s Whisky Cape Town Open.

After missing 18 cuts in a row having last collected a weekend paycheque at last July’s Austrian Open, the Dubliner carded a two-over par round of 74 to make the cut on the number at even.

It banishes a hoodoo that has been hanging over The Island man for too long, though Moynihan made hard work of it in the end having moved inside the top-15 after getting to four-under par early in his second round.


In the end the 26-year old traded three birdies with five bogeys but crucially made par at the ninth hole, his last to ensure weekend progress. Let’s hope the super talented Moynihan can begin to recapture his true form now with the burden of the cut-line finally off his back.

Meanwhile, young Frenchman Jeong weon Ko carded a scintillating seven-under par front nine to tie the lead with South Africa’s Jacques Blaauw at the halfway stage.

The 23-year-old added two further birdies on the back nine, as well as a single bogey, following his front nine blitz to post an eight-under par second round of 64 at Royal Cape Golf Club, joining Blaauw on nine-under par after the first round leader added a three under par round of 69 on day two.

The duo lead by one from New Zealander Daniel Hillier in third on eight-under par, while Danish duo Niklas Norgaard Møller and Martin Simonsen share fourth place on seven under.

However it was Ko, whose heritage is French and Korean, who stole the show with seven front nine birdies to snatch a share of the lead at the halfway stage.

“It was the first time I’ve ever birdied five holes in a row like that so it felt really good,” Ko said. “I didn’t think too much about the score, just kept on doing my stuff and focussing on each shot.

“I’m feeling pretty good. I was expecting some good scores but not that good. It shows the work I’m putting in is paying off. I’m pretty happy with this and I hope the next couple of days are going to be good as well.

“We’ve got a lot of these type of courses in France, so I’m used to it. Some shots can get tricky and I think I played safe, which paid off pretty well.”

South Africa’s Blaauw, who took the lead on day one thanks to a six under par round of 66, battled the wind against the backdrop of Table Mountain to keep pace with Ko, who threatened to run away with the lead.

“I’m very happy with the two days of work,” Blauuw said. “When I got here this morning I thought it was going to be a tough one out there because the forecast looked like it was going to be blustery. It’s died down now so it worked out pretty well.

“There were a couple of stretches where the wind was up and you have to think about a lot of shots and shape a lot of shots, into the wind or with the wind, which was quite hard. It was a two-club wind, that’s what we played it as. It died down on the last couple of holes which made it a little bit easier.”

The cut fell at level par at Royal Cape Golf Club with 72 players surviving to play the weekend. Michael Hoey wasn’t one of them after a second round 80 saw the five-time European Tour winner miss out at six-over.


Stay ahead of the game. Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest Irish Golfer news straight to your inbox!

More News

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy & Terms of Service apply.