Joaquin Niemann’s bigger question looms after latest LIV Golf win

Irish Golfer & GOLF.com
|
|

Joaquin Niemann (Photo by Doug DeFelice/LIV Golf)

Irish Golfer & GOLF.com

Feature Interviews

Latest Stories

Joaquin Niemann did it again on Sunday.

For the fourth time this season, the 26-year-old Chilean delivered a scintillating final round to claim victory on the breakaway golf tour. Niemann entered the day four shots behind 36-hole leader Anirban Lahiri but blazed through Robert Trent Jones Golf Club on Sunday, shooting a final-round eight-under 63 to beat Lahiri and Graeme McDowell by one stroke. Earlier this season, Niemann fired a final-round 65 (seven under) to secure the title at LIV Adelaide. He shot a final-round 65 (six under) to win LIV Singapore and stormed LIV Mexico City with a final-round 65 (six under) to defeat Bryson DeChambeau.

Niemann now has six wins in his LIV Golf career, but a much larger question looms with the 2025 U.S. Open at Oakmont approaching.

Niemann is a supremely talented golfer who has yet to reach his prime. Data Golf ranks Niemann as the No. 8 player in the world following his win at LIV Virginia. The only players ahead of him are Scheffler, McIlroy, DeChambeau, Rahm, Thomas, Fleetwood, and Morikawa.

There is no denying Niemann’s talent. He is one of the best ball strikers in the world.

However, major championship success has eluded Niemann. Before his T8 finish at the 2025 PGA Championship at Quail Hollow, Niemann’s best result in golf’s biggest events was a T16 at the 2023 Masters. In fact, that was the only time he cracked the top 20 in his first 23 major starts.

He achieved a top-10 finish in his 24th major start, but he knows he still has much to prove at major championships, starting with what promises to be a demanding test at Oakmont.

“It’s always difficult to remain patient,” Niemann said of majors after winning LIV Virginia. “I feel like I’m still quite far from winning one. I’m just happy to be playing at the U.S. Open. It’s going to be a great course with tough conditions. I’m looking forward to the challenge and having a fun week.”

Niemann gained entry to the U.S. Open via the USGA’s new LIV Golf exemption, which grants a spot to the top player in LIV Golf’s individual standings who is not otherwise exempt through 19 May. With three wins at that point, Niemann easily secured his place at Oakmont.

Niemann’s T8 finish at Quail Hollow alleviated some of the pressure surrounding his major championship record. It added a notable achievement to his resume, but he wasn’t a contender during the weekend in Charlotte. He played solid golf before eventual winner Scottie Scheffler and other contenders teed off, but he wasn’t in the thick of the battle.

The next step for Niemann, whose high-calibre game supports his claim as one of the world’s best, is to become a weekend contender at major championships.

Niemann acknowledges the scrutiny of his limited major championship record and the questions about why his game hasn’t translated to those events. He is working to change that narrative and believes that with more major experience, his game will eventually shine through.

“It’s something that’s always on my mind,” Niemann said. “I know there’s pressure to perform here, given my lack of strong results in majors. I feel it’s a learning process. At the end of the day, it’s still a golf tournament. Sometimes I feel a bit uncomfortable in certain situations, but I’m learning to handle them better.

“It’s just another golf tournament. Beyond that, there’s little else to say.”

This article originated on Golf.com

Stay ahead of the game. Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest Irish Golfer news straight to your inbox!

More News

Leave a comment


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy & Terms of Service apply.