13.4 C
Dublin
Tuesday, June 2, 2020
- Advertisement -

McIlroy heading to Hawaii as woods turns down invite

Must read

The hazard of playing under coronavirus rules

Golf under coronavirus restrictions is a welcomed change of pace from lockdown cabin fever but it's also raising interesting questions that could change the game over time

Form is temporary, class is permanent…. 

Watch enough sport and you’re sure to hear it said, but as with all great clichés, the foundations are based on truth

A chance meeting on a Dublin bus

It's hard to imagine something like this happening these days given people's obsession with screens. We might not be so quick to stare at our phone next time we travel

Brady shows his human side (and nearly his backside) to the world

As athletes go, Tom Brady is about as unrelatable as they come, with a net worth of around $200 million & married to a supermodel, but he was one of us on Sunday night

There will be a Hawaiian welcome lei awaiting Rory McIlroy but not Tiger Woods.

 Rory McIlroy / Image from Getty Images

That will be the confirmed scenario when entries officially close later tonight (Fri) US time for the PGA Tour opening event of 2019 – the January 3rd starting Sentry Tournament of Champions at Kapalua.

 

For the first time since 2013 both McIlroy and Woods qualified for the ‘winners only’ event by virtue of McIlroy’s Arnold Palmer Invitational success and with Woods ending a five-year victory drought in emotional manner by capturing the Tour Championship.

 

While McIlroy will be Hawaii-bound he is yet to officially quash any lingering 2018 controversy with word he has re-joined the European Tour after reports European Tour CEO, Keith Pelley flew to Belfast for crisis talks with the four-time Major winner.

 

McIlroy’s choice to start a new year in America’s 50th State does mean not starting a new season on the European Tour for a very first occasion in his pro career while Woods, by not entering, quashes suggestions he was going to join the Ulsterman in Hawaii.

 

Instead Woods, who turns 43 on Sunday, will now commence his 2019 season in the January 24th starting Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines near San Diego.

 

Woods has won the event on seven occasions while he captured his 14th Major there in 2008 in winning the U.S. Open.

 

There were rumours when Woods headed off to Melbourne,  Australia earlier this month he may tee-up in Hawaii but he admitted hehad played too much golf in his full comeback season including teeing-up in seven events over the final nine weeks of the PGA Tour year.

 

“The only thing set in stone after this is that I’m playing Genesis (Riviera Country Club, Feb 14th to 17th) and the four majors,” said Woods.

“Other than that, we’re still taking a look at what is too much. Seven of the last nine to end my season was too much.”

 

Woods will be faced with decisions following the Genesis Open as the following week will be the WGC-Mexico Championship, followed by the Honda Classic close of his Florida home.

 

He’s then got to decide on competing in either the following week’s Arnold Palmer Invitational which is followed by the Players Championship and then the Valspar Championship where he went within a shot this year of forcing a play-off.

 

What is certain is that Woods will not choose to play five in a row.

New Gear

Get to grips with Golf Pride online

With restrictions still widespread, Golfers can find the perfect golf grip digitally with the Golf Pride online Grip Selector tool, offering us access to the company's most extensive ever range

Free GPS App from Bushnell Golf gets a massive upgrade

Free to download for all Bushnell Golf product owners, the new App provides access to state-of-the-art graphics and technology designed to further enhance a golfer's experience on the course

TaylorMade unveil timely MyMG2 personalised wedges

New custom wedge programme offers thousands of combinations to personalise the company’s latest wedge offerings

Golf needs its Putt Buddy now more than ever

An Irish company, run by Irish golfers have enlisted the help of Irish manufacturers to produce a stainless steel product that allows the ball to be removed from the hole without touching the flagstick

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Golf prepares to progress to Phase 2 of re-opening

The sun is shining, the BBQ's are going and now the news that we'll be permitted to play fourballs and competitions from next week. Some Bank Holidays are simply better than others!

McDowell & Montgomerie say no to Ryder Cup without fans

"It's just being impatient if it goes ahead, so let's be patient and do it properly. It will be 10 times the event if you have the fans there, and it's the fans that make or break the Ryder Cup"

Singh pulls the plug on any Korn Ferry feud

Triple Major winning Vijay Singh has avoided any further controversy by deciding to withdraw from the Korn Ferry Tour Challenge, being held from June 11-14 at TPC Sawgrass

European Tour needs UK quarantine restrictions lifted to resume

European Tour chief executive Keith Pelley says there’s no guarantees that a proposed European Tour restart will go ahead as planned in July. Are you optimistic?

East of Ireland Championship cancelled for only second time in 80 years

Darren Clarke is the only Irish Major champion who posted an East of Ireland victory on his amateur golfing CV en route to becoming a world renowned figure in the game