Scott closes his remaining career door shut on LIV Golf move

Bernie McGuire
|
|
Scott closes his remaining career door shut on LIV Golf move

Adam Scott (Photo by David Cannon/Getty Images)

Rumours Adam Scott was heading to join the ranks of LIV Golf would now just seem that, rumours.

The only Australian-born player to win the Masters has seemingly squashed all such stories ahead of teeing-up in this week’s Presidents Cup at Quail Hollow in North Carolina.

No, Scott will not be handed a sign-on document by fellow Aussie Greg Norman and, as such, will not now join fellow PGA based Aussies Cam Smith, Marc Leishman or Matt Jones nor another long-time ‘Down Under’ friend in Wade Ormsby by switching to LIV Golf.

Scott, who ensured a whole Aussie nation was late for work on Monday the 14th of April, 2013, when he was fitted with an Augusta National green jacket, had been toying with the idea earlier this year of joining LIV, saying he was keeping an open mind because of LIV Golf’s relatively relaxed schedule.

However, the now 42-year-old who has won 42 tournaments in nearly 10 different countries, has taken himself out of the LIV discussion, not only being present at the recent PGA Tour players meeting that Tiger Woods travelled to but now ahead of the Presidents Cup seemingly shutting the door on any talk of joining the LIV Golf ranks.

“It’s a big conversation that I really don’t think I should enter in at the moment, but it is what it is,” said Scott.

“They’re (LIV Golf) doing what they want to do, and the PGA Tour will continue to do what it does and try to put out the best product.

“Why am I still on the PGA Tour? Because it suits me best to be on the PGA Tour. It’s as simple as that, really. There’s one thing I think I haven’t grasped is giving up my entire professional life of trying to achieve these things here and just leaving it behind. I’m obviously not ready to do that.

“I may never be, as well, to be clear. I just think that seems to be a hurdle that — well, it hasn’t really presented itself to me anyway.”

We may see Scott still change his mind but having first introduced myself to Adam in a European Tour event in 2000, walked all 18 final round holes 10-years later when he let slip victory at the 2012 Open Championship and then was among the first member of the written media to shake his hand when he captured the 2013 Masters, Scott has been always been a man of his word.

Personally I think that on top of what he said at Charlotte, Scott is man of his word and I predict he will keep it.

Stay ahead of the game. Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest Irish Golfer news straight to your inbox!

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy & Terms of Service apply.

Latest Stories

Feature Interviews