Joe Lyons and Tracy Eakin are the leading qualifiers after the second day of the Irish Senior Men’s and Women’s Close Championships in Thurles.
Lyons began his day on top of the Men’s leaderboard, and a second round of 70 to go with yesterday’s 69 left him on -5, four clear of the field.
Cork’s Pat Lyons and Carton House’s Colin Cunningham were the only other players in the Men’s competition to finish under par, on -1.
2021 champion Karl Bornemann began the day outside the top-16, but a fine 72 ensured his place in the Matchplay, finishing on +3 in eighth place.
Lyons and Bornemann could meet in Thursday afternoon’s Quarter-Finals if they win their Round 1 matches against Colm Murphy and Tony Cleary respectively.
Dooks’ Tracy Eakin took the top seeding in the Women’s competition, with two rounds of 76 leaving her on +6. Overnight leader Deirdre Smith shot a second round of 80, leaving her also on +6, but Eakin took the top spot on countback.
The duo were five shots clear of the field, with Grange’s Sheena McElroy leading the chasing pack on +11.
Round 1 of the Women’s Matchplay begins at 8am on Thursday morning, with the Men’s competition teeing off from 9.10am.
- Irish Senior Men’s Amateur Close Championship – Leaderboard
- Irish Senior Women’s Amateur Close Championship – Leaderboard
- Irish Senior Men’s Amateur Close Championship – Matchplay
- Irish Senior Women’s Amateur Close Championship – Matchplay
- Irish Senior Women’s Amateur Close Championship – Matchplay (Plate)