Imagine you’re playing golf and your playing partner suddenly collapses. What can you do?
Did you know that most people who experience sudden cardiac arrest at home, work or in a public location such as on a golf course, die because they don’t receive immediate CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) from someone at the scene?
However, the chances of survival following sudden cardiac arrest are considerably improved if there is a rapid, co-ordinated, response to the emergency. It is very difficult for medical help to arrive at a remote location like a golf course and if sudden cardiac arrest occurs there is only a very small window of 3 – 5 minutes that could mean the difference between life and death.
Here are some simple tips to help you potentially save someone’s life;
Good Simple Advice
- When playing always carry your mobile phone, on silent, in your golf bag.
- Know how to use the loudspeaker facility on your mobile phone. This will enable you to speak with the emergency ambulance controller while attending to the casualty.
- Ask your club about and make yourself aware of the emergency procedure they have in place. All clubs should periodically inform their members and staff of the procedure but make it your business to find out.
- Learn CPR – You May Save A Life. Your club can arrange group sessions.
- Check out www.golfcardiacresponse.com and see if your club will get involved.
Should any person require urgent medical assistance, immediately Ring 999 or 112.
- If the person is unresponsive, get another person to ring the clubhouse or pro-shop and request that the defibrillator be dispatched to you immediately.
- Check for no breathing or only gasping for a minimum of 5 seconds and maximum of 10 seconds.
- If the person is unresponsive and not breathing, immediately start compressions:
- Push hard and fast in the centre of the chest.
- Continue compressions and do not stop until paramedic help arrives.
THE GOLF CARDIAC RESPONSE SYSTEM
With golf course deaths more regular than you might expect it is important for golf clubs and their staff to be prepared and trainined. The Golf Cardiac Response System™, is a service provided to golf clubs by Donal Casey and Heartsafety Solutions to assist clubs to be better prepared for a medical emergency on the golf course. It includes the following:
- Simple and concise instructions for golfers as to what to do in the event of a medical emergency on the golf course on a card that each member and visitor receive. This includes post code information, emergency access details for the emergency services and a whistle to attract attention of other golfers.
- Internet monitored defibrillator in the clubhouse or pro-shop.
- Training and certifying club staff and club members.
- Informing and updating the emergency ambulance service of key site specific information – how they access the course etc.
- Ongoing advice and support, as required.
Visit www.golfcardiacresponse.com for more information.
Leave a comment